Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Remaining patient

Buying came in at the top of the gap at SPX 815
just as I suspected and it looks like we may get another late day rally just like the last two days. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SPX close over 825 for the day. That keeps me on the sidelines with end-of-day accounts not managed by mechancial methods for today. I really want that buy at ST-S3. Maybe I'm being greedy but I think being greedy while in cash in a bear market is wise.
One of the things I believe dooms many investors
is the emotional pain from being left behind by a rising stock market. It's a human nature trait that I try to avoid at all costs. Logically, it doesn't even make sense. Every single day, thousands of "markets" are moving all over the place. Very few care if they missed out on the big move in soybeans. (Not that there was one, I don't follow soybeans). When it comes to trading or investing, "the market" is just a number. It really doesn't matter what that number is. What matters is what that number is going to be in the future. Markets oscillate around their true trend. So as a market goes higher, pressure mounts for it to regress back down to its actual trend. That is why I rarely chase markets and panic buy.